It is customary to tip movers, though not required. A tip is one way to show movers your appreciation for their efforts, especially when they do a great job. A professional moving company can ease your responsibilities and stress, provide a smooth transition into a new home or office and handle your items carefully and safely. It’s completely optional, but if you want to acknowledge the skills of your movers and show them your gratitude for their service, a tip or gratuity is the best way to do it.
How Much to Tip Your Moving Company
Generally, $4 to $5 an hour per mover is standard, adding up to about $20 per person for half a day or $40 per person for a full 8-hour day. You could also tip between 5% and 10% of the move’s total cost.
If you are planning a long-distance move, you can also consider a flat rate since percentages can get expensive quickly. It’s ultimately up to you, though, and whatever you feel best shows your appreciation and reflects the level of service provided.
Factors That Could Affect How Much You Tip Movers
You can tip your moving company however much you feel appropriate, but these factors may help you determine how much to tip your movers:
- Weather conditions: You may feel inclined to tip your movers more if they provide stellar service regardless of sweltering heat or icy grounds.
- Organization: If your moving team goes the extra mile to help you label your boxes and ensure they end up in the right rooms, you might tip to reflect their efforts.
- Stairs: If your property has many stairs for your moving company to navigate, you can show your gratitude for their work.
- Oversized or fragile items: Large or heavy items and delicate or antique items require extra care and effort, so if your team handles your property well, you can express your approval through a generous tip.
- Extra hours: If a move is taking much longer than you or the movers anticipated, but they are still around to finish the job with the highest quality of service, a tip would be appropriate and greatly appreciated.
- Intangible help: You may choose to tip if the moving team was particularly kind to you and your family, making the move easier and less stressful.
- Response to accidents: Mistakes happen, but if your movers respond quickly and appropriately, you could tip them for the efficient way they dealt with these situations.
Transtar is proud to offer quality, award-winning service to all our customers. Whatever the circumstances or requirements of your move, our team is happy to help. Contact us online today to learn more about our quality guarantee.
When Do You Tip Movers?
You can choose to tip your movers at any point in the process, giving it at the beginning of the day to provide motivation or waiting until the end to make sure everything is satisfactory. You can also offer your movers snacks or cool drinks throughout the day or write a positive review online after you’re settled in.