Guide To Moving During COVID-19
During this time, we’ve been encouraged to stay at home — but what if you need to move your home? Whether your apartment lease is up or you need to downsize to a smaller house in South Jersey and the Greater Pennsylvania area, the pandemic hasn’t taken away your need to find a new place to live. As you look for a professional moving company to help you, follow these helpful tips for moving during the coronavirus.
CAN I MOVE DURING CORONAVIRUS?
Relocating your home during this difficult time comes with its own set of challenges, but it is possible. These are unprecedented times, so there are no widespread recommendations for how to move during the coronavirus. Though some may postpone moving until they feel safer, you might need to relocate during COVID-19 because of the following reasons:
- Your immune system is compromised, and you want to be closer to family in another state so they can help take care of you.
- You can no longer afford your current house because of work-related financial challenges.
- The lease on your apartment has almost ended.
- You’ve recently experienced a life change, such as a new job.
BENEFITS OF MOVING DURING THE PANDEMIC
Whatever your reason for moving in COVID-19 times, the transition doesn’t have to be stressful. You can potentially take advantage of the following benefits of moving during COVID-19:
- Finding a better place to live: You might be able to find more houses on the market during this time, especially in your price range. With more possible options available and fewer people moving to avoid exposure to the virus, you may have less competition placing an offer on a property. If you’d prefer to rent, you may be able to reach out to landlords who want to fill their vacant apartment with tenants as soon as possible.
- Saving money:If you’re having trouble paying your current home mortgage, you can downsize and likely save money. Plus, depending on the sale price of your home, you might end up with a profit that you can put into savings. With a smaller property, you can potentially save on monthly utilities as well.
- Saving time: With more people working from home during the pandemic, you might be able to accomplish your long-distance move while spending less time on the road. You may also have more time to clean and pack if the pandemic has given you increased free time.
- Staying busy: Moving gives you a new task to complete and a place to explore to help get your mind off the pandemic. Consider creative organization options and ways to declutter your house so you can make the most out of your living space with your move.
GENERAL SAFETY PROCEDURES AND TIPS FOR MOVING DURING COVID-19
At Transtar Moving Systems, we’re committed to keeping you safe during your move with our residential moving services. Here are some moving during COVID-19 tips to ease the process:
- Consider buying packing materials instead of reusing old boxes: During a move, you might pack your belongings with used boxes from grocery stores, recycling centers or friends and family. Since the coronavirus can last up to 24 hours on cardboard surfaces, you may want to be cautious about reusing these supplies. Instead, you can visit your local hardware store and pick up some extra boxes, tape and protective products for your valuables. To save time, you could also use our packing services to enlist professionals to pack up your belongings safely.
- Research the safety precautions of local donation centers: With some non-essential businesses working at limited capacity, you might have difficulty donating your unwanted items this year. Call your local donation center before driving there to determine what local and state safety guidelines are in place. If you can’t donate your items, you can safely store them in one of our storage units.
- Enforce wearing a mask and washing hands: When your moving team first arrives, kindly ask them to wash their hands with soap and water. Make sure everyone is wearing a mask throughout the moving process to ensure safety. You and your family members should also wash their hands and wear masks, especially when interacting with people outside of your household.
- Bring regular hand soap with you: Hand sanitizer is a safe option to eliminate germs while you’re on the road, but you should wash your hands with antibacterial soap and water when you can. If you pack your hand soap away, you’ll have to sort through boxes before you can wash your hands at your new home. Instead, keep the soap nearby in a purse or an easily accessible box so you can wash your hands when you arrive.
- Delay your move if you feel sick: If you have any coronavirus symptoms, you should reschedule your moving appointment until a doctor says it’s safe for you to be around others again. Though it may be inconvenient, delaying your move prevents you from spreading germs to those around you. Even if you’re wearing a mask and washing your hands frequently, you’re still putting others at risk by being around them when you’re sick.
- Be gracious and compassionate with yourself: Even if you’ve experienced moving before, packing and moving during the coronavirus will likely be different given the circumstances. You may also become frustrated during this process if it’s taking longer than expected. It may help to take frequent breaks and ask for help as you navigate this potentially stressful situation.
HOW TO MOVE DURING COVID-19 WITH A PROFESSIONAL MOVING COMPANY
When relocating your home during COVID-19, you should be aware of your interaction with others. If you hire a moving company, you must maintain social distancing and practice open communication so you and the movers follow safety guidelines. Here are some of the ways you can stay safe and move successfully during COVID-19 with a professional mover:
- Ask your moving company about safety precautions: Before hiring a professional mover, ask them what policies and safeguards they have in place to keep you and your belongings safe. Let them know about any concerns you may have so they can accommodate your needs. All moving companies must follow local and state safety guidelines, so look for movers that go above and beyond to provide high-quality customer service during this time.
- Double-check all previous arrangements: Before moving, it’s essential to go over the plans you’ve made with your moving company. Call them a few days before your scheduled move to confirm the times and prior agreements.
- Discuss their policy on canceling or postponing services: If you have to reschedule your moving date because of an illness, check with your moving company about the best way to inform the team. A reliable moving company should be flexible and understand any unforeseen circumstances that arise, especially during these uncertain times.
- Maintain social distancing during your move: It’s safe to greet your movers with a smile and wave instead or a handshake. Maintain a distance of at least six feet away from the crew, and avoid helping them pick up boxes. You should wash your hands often and show the movers where they can wash their hands in your home.
BEGIN YOUR NEXT MOVE WITH TRANSTAR MOVING SYSTEMS
No matter when is the right time to move, you can trust Transtar Moving Systems to get you to or from South Jersey. We’re open for business and taking active measures to prevent the risk of COVID-19 among our loyal customers and reliable workers. Contact us online or call 855-720-7833 for a moving quote.